Memere's Potato Bake

I've been thinking a lot about the Canadian half of my family this week. An invitation from my cousin Herve and his wife for their daughter's wedding came in the mail, my cousin Jim, a good guy with a bad problem, died suddenly two days before Christmas, and I saw my cousin Lisa and her family at Mass over the holidays.

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are more vivid memories than Christmas for me. My Canadian immigrant grandparents doled out little gifts on New Year's Day as was their tradition. Lipstick or pretty soaps for the girls, Matchbook cars for the boys and a dollar for the older kids.
When I think about it now, several dozen grandchildren meant a big expense at a dollar each back in the 1950s and 60s. The family was big, the laughter loud and the food delicious!

MEMERE'S POTATO BAKE (POMME DE TERRE AU GRATIN)
2 pounds all-purpose white potatoes (5-6 medium size potatoes)
1 cup milk
1 cup light cream
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

Butter a 2 quart round casserole. Peel and slice potatoes into 1/2 inch rounds. Place peeled and sliced potatoes in a medium sauce pan, pour milk and cream over potatoes. Bring to a slow boil, simmer ten minutes. Pour mixture into prepared casseroe, sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until sauce bubbles and potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 4 generous portions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grape Infused Vodka Update

The Joy of Holiday Cookies

Seasonal Surprises: Savory Blueberry Chutney